Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Cream of Vegetable Soup

This recipe can be made with broccoli, asparagus, or peas, but for best flavors, don't mix them. (I want to try using cauliflower and potatoes sometime.)

2    cups low-sodium chicken broth
2    cups low-sodium vegetable broth (I have used all chicken broth or all vegetable broth because that was all I had, and it works just fine.)
1/4 cup white wine (I usually use white cooking wine.)
1    teaspoon fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried    (Can use 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon instead.  I like it both ways.)
2    bay leaves
2    tablespoons unsalted butter
2    large shallots, minced   (I use green onions with green part also minced.  Chives would also be fine.)
      Salt and ground black pepper
2    tablespoons all-purpose flour   (I use 3 tablespoons because I like my soup thicker.)
2    pounds fresh broccoli, or asparagus, chopped coarse, or 1 1/2 pounds frozen peas  (I use more vegetables if I have them, makes a richer soup.)
1/2 cup half-and-half

1.  HEAT BROTH MIXTURE:  Bring broths, wine, thyme, and bay leaves to boil, covered, in large saucepan.

2.  SAUTE SHALLOTS/GREEN ONIONS:  Meanwhile, melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots or green onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook  until softened, about 3 minutes.   Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.

3.  ADD BROTH MIXTURE AND VEGETABLES:  Slowly stir in broth mixture.  Add vegetables, bring to simmer, and cook until vegetables are tender yet retain their green color, about 5 minutes.  Remove bay leaves.

4.  PUREE, FINISH, AND SEASON:  Puree soup in batches in blender until smooth.  (I use the Vitamix machine.  Love it!)  Return pureed soup to pot and stir in half-and-half.  Return soup to brief simmer, then remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve. 

Serves 6
Safety tip:  many vegetable soups are best pureed in a blender to create a smooth texture.  Blending hot soup can be dangerous, though.  To prevent mishaps, don't fill the blender jar past the halfway point, and hold the lid in place with a folded kitchen towel. 

This recipe used by permission from America's Test Kitchen (www.AmericasTestKitchen.com), from the editor's of Cook's Illustrated.  I own many of their recipe books and magazines.  Love them!!!

 

No comments: